✿ History of Graphic Design: Exercise 1 - Recreation of Renaissance Art ✿

 H E L L O!

    Hello! I'm back again with another entry! This time, it's from my subject called History of Graphic Design. We had to recreate a renaissance art by someone from the same period.

    I chose the painting called Springtime by Pierre Auguste Cot. It's a painting about two people, who seem like lovers that gaze into each other's eyes filled with affection and care. They both swing under a tree as the bright sun shines on them and its warmth embraces both of them. The girl's arms are all over the boy as the male smiles down on her. 

    Here is the comparison:




    I actually used a flipped version of the reference to use as my guide. It's also less saturated, which can be found here:

    This digital painting took me a total of 3 days, which is why, I wasn't able to upload it and pass it quickly as I usually do. This painting took me so much time that I had to sacrifice a bit of my time so that I can also work on the details. As I worked on this piece, I listened to a lot of songs that ranged from korean pop to OPM, and I still wasn't done. While I was also working on this, there was suddenly a power outage that occurred two times, which also hindered my progress since I wasn't able to save it. I was almost ready to give up, but I saw this piece as one of my biggest projects, not only academic wise, but also in my growth as an artist. 

    I know it's far from perfect, but I am very proud of this. I used every technique I could think of in painting this. I even tried to make up for my laziness and created my own techniques to save time and effort to prolong the process. I enjoyed painting the girl more than the boy since the girl's proportions were on point and her dress was very fun to color. The hardest part was definitely the boy's hair and his outfit. The background was also quite tricky and I had to make my own brush to paint the leaves and the grass.

    In my version, I wanted to emphasize the gaze of the two lovers, so I made sure to enlarge the image a bit. If you zoom in, you will be able to see each stroke I did, which is more found in the girl's hair. I wanted to show how in love the two were, so I tried my best to incorporate their emotions.

    In general, I am happy with the result. There were a lot of stress involved and even headaches, but it was worth it. I think I've overcame an obstacle and have visibly improve. I had my classmates Mark Loy Sanchez and Faith Nombrado check my work and they praised me. I also showed my previous classmates and friends and they were happy to see I've improved. I want to share the whole experience in hopes to inspire my fellow classmates and artists who also struggled and had a lot of stress. I hope our hard works are recognized or will be recognized soon!

Here's the process of me painting it in the application called Paint Tool SAI version 2. I used my VEIKK A50 Graphics Tablet, and a lot of patience.






    As always, thank you for checking out my blog! I hope that we can all fill the world with art! If you have any questions and comments, please leave them below! I hope that I managed to inspire you guys.

Also, if you want to see more of my works, I am part of a Facebook art page called Art Venue, where we are open for commissions! Should you need something drawn, whether it's Traditional or Digital medium, we can guarantee it to be done when you need it and done well!

Please visit our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ArtVenue-101021248736589/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOURTH YEAR MIDTERMS - Portfolio and Exhibit

✿ History of Graphic Design: Activity 11 - Motion Picture ✿