2ND SEM - MIDTERMS: Magazine

OMG! A MAGAZINE?! AND IT'S FOR ARTISTS?! - Multimedia Arts Magazine

_____________________________________________________________

Aside from being a tip for making magazines, I just really want to imagine being interviewed for a magazine. And yes, the main target would be artists. 

Alright, to start out, as usual, I searched for a good reference. I don't need a lot, just one reference is enough for me. I found this reference from escapemotions.com, and I really love the lay out and the way it was formed. The color palette is striking as well and very unique, which made me want to do a similar approach.

I wanted to incorporate the MMA course as well as market myself to the public. I also wanted to feature myself as a public figure and an inspiration to the artists all over the world. I made sure to look for a similar reference to what I was trying to go for.

Here is the reference I chose:

reference link: https://www.escapemotions.com/blog/top-10-inspirational-magazines-for-artists

Then I selected a color palette. I chose orange, white, and black and to match the main artwork I am showcasing, which has a red background. I chose warm colors for an inviting ambiance and made black and white for the text and background for a clean slate. 

I chose a picture of myself that corresponds to the color palette to make it fit. I then created a made-up magazine brand or studio then added some kickers, a headline, and some previews of the contents of the magazine. I also included a small introduction on the bottom of the front page. For fun, I also included a barcode.

Here's how it looks like as individual pages:


Here's how it looks like as shown in the reference:

I had so much fun that I decided to do another version. This time with a two main colors, being candlelight orange and amethyst purple.

Here is the reference of the main colors I used:


reference links: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21566302@N06/7035518797/ | https://ingridsnotes.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/purple_revised.jpg

Using a different font from the first, I decided to experiment with the front page and attempt something similar to my reference. The picture I used is different now, and looks like it was shot in a studio. I included more contents in the page and used the main colors of the company I made up. I used my past works that I made for my projects, and made the contents as if they were taken from my interview as a MMA figure.

Here are the individual pages for the second magazine:


Here is how it looks like as a whole:


It's always a good idea to play around with the layout and the colors. It is also alright to change the pages if needed. I love to make sure everything looks good, there are no typography errors, and the grammar is right. This is a magazine so the contents are important. 

It is also a must that the visual impact is good and appealing. I love the headings of the second magazine in the second page. It gives emphasis on which words are the main point in the content. I added variety in it but also put unity in mind as I made the pages. Keep these principles as a guideline to make sure that the output will not be overcrowded and looks interesting. Always experiment as well to find the best layout.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOURTH YEAR MIDTERMS - Portfolio and Exhibit

✿ History of Graphic Design: Activity 11 - Motion Picture ✿