✿ Exercise 10 - Illusion of space and Depth in Game Environment ✿

  H E L L O!

    In this 10th week of elements of graphic and design, we were tasked to do a game environment. I did a simple 2d design and implemented some fantasy like concept in these illustrations, I used my Graphic Tablet from VEIKK and Paint Tool SAI version 2. I tried to think of how to make the design more relatable or fun despite the 2D environment. My main inspiration was the video by Thomas Brush showcasing how to make a simple yet nice looking 2D game background.

Here are my works:

Little Demon (season 1)

Little Demon (season 2)

  I am very proud of these two illustrations as it surpassed my expectations for myself. When it comes to games, I definitely prefer 3D but I suppose making 2D game graphics actually made me feel a connection towards it. I made sure to include background, midground, and foreground for the two artworks. I also included what I learned from the video of Thomas Brush. I added my own twist in the second illustration, where instead of a mist, I put in an aurora. I also made sure that the simplicity of the graphics still looks appealing to a person who would play it.  

Here are information about the principles of Typography I applied.

  HIERARCHY 
Mainly, the only text I put was the title and the "press enter". The bigger text was the title, and the smaller was the instruction to start the game. I followed the concept of Thomas Brush to keep it simple and clear.

   SIZE 
The bigger text indicates the title of the game so that the viewers can distinguish it from others and can know what it is. The next text is the instruction so that the person playing it can know what to do in order for them to start the game. The sizing is simple and common in most games, keeping it clear.

  COLOR 
I used a simple color; white. It is a huge contrast to the background colors as it is a lot lighter. It also matches the color of the main character, which according to Thomas Brush, it is better for them to stand out. 

 FONT 
I used a Sans Serif font to keep it clear and match the simple vibes of the 2D game environment. Otherwise, I also drew horns on the letter D to show a form of uniqueness. It also matches the main character for they are a small demon. I slapped a number "2" on the second image to show that it is the sequel to the first game.

Here are information about the principles of Design or Composition I applied.

    BALANCE 
The work is filled with color, and it also has a range but it still fixes it out for a nice transition. The balance is nice and pleasant to look at. The colors compliment each other even though it is not in a monochromatic range. The duality of both drawings show a feel of a 2D environment but also feels realistic in a sense where each color defines the background, midground, and foreground. 

    HARMONY 
The harmony is in the overall aspect of the images. The colors do not fight despite the fact that there is a range of two families of colors in each work. There is a satisfaction where the viewer can still make out which is which and can sense the effect of the overall picture for what it is.

    UNITY 
For Unity, the colors are different but can still be seen as one image overall. As you can see, though there are two different colors, they transition to meet and combine as an aesthetically pleasing color. One matches a scene similar to a sunset and the other matches that of the aurora view in a cold atmosphere. The sense of unity shows itself by making it feel as if it belongs in the scene.

    CONTRAST 
The main contrast here is how the use of two colors meet. The violet and orange do not particularly come close to each other but it somehow makes the image look good, yes? This is because the blending saves it and still makes the whole image appealing. This makes it less boring and clear, and the difference makes it clear and easy to understand.

    VARIETY 
The variety is mainly on the colors again. Though there are only two families of colors in each picture, the use is still clear and shows off its flare to the viewer. Despite the use of simple shapes and scenes, it still has impact. There are triangles, rectangles, circles, curvy shapes and those with sharp slopes that create an image that is still clear and pleasing. Because of this, the image avoids the tendency to look unappealing.

    PATTERN 
The pattern is the use of shapes and the implications of the back, mid, and foreground. The colors are also getting lighter as the ground goes further, this is, according to Thomas Brush, because the close the details are, the more the eyes can concentrate and distinguish which is which. The patterns here help convey that sense as well.

    RHYTHM 
The rhythm here is mainly the shapes too. Such as the trees and the mountains from behind, as well as the stars in the sky. They are random in placement yet can still be predictable, if there was a slope that leads below with the placement of smaller trees and triangles to serve as bushes, a viewer can guess that there will be little to no more trees in the next space. This indicates the predictability of the surrounding elements.

As always, I tried very hard to convey all the messages and ideas as best as I can. I did my best to be responsible and applied all the principles available, I enjoyed this very much, more than I expected. Although at first, it was hard to think of a concept, I just revisited Thomas Brush's video and it gave me some simple ideas to try. In the second artwork, I played with my ideas where I implemented trees on the back, mid, and foreground, and also put an aurora to contrast the sky with the bright moon and stars. This was an experience that is memorable because it was different and I wouldn't have tried this if it were not for this activity.

    Thank you for viewing my blog and looking around! Let's all unite and fill the world with positivity and art! Also, if you want to see more of my works, I am part of a Facebook art page called Art Venue, where we are open for commissions! Should you need something drawn, whether it's Traditional or Digital medium, we can guarantee it to be done when you need it and done well!

Please visit our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ArtVenue-101021248736589/

For sticker shopping, please head to our shopee store: https://shopee.ph/justlabel?categoryId=13612&itemId=3684556662

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOURTH YEAR MIDTERMS - Portfolio and Exhibit

✿ History of Graphic Design: Activity 11 - Motion Picture ✿