✿ History of Graphic Design: Activity 7 - Arts and Crafts ✿

 H E L L O!

For the first week of midterms, we were assigned to do Arts and Crafts. We could do jewelry, clothing, wallpaper, carpet and more. Here are my entries for this week. It was a sudden switch from Digital art to Traditional art again, so this time it was traditional medium. I did two things, one where I used clay-like substance (i don't know what it's actually called) and a cardboard where it already had a drawing. The other one is a recycled artwork made from old CDs (that aren't used or played anymore) and mixed media, namely acrylic, gouache, and poster paint.

Here are the artworks:


Day, Sunset, and Night, hanged on our wall.

Day

Sunset

Night


    I was running out of colors here and I had to do this with two toothpicks to press it on to the surface. To be honest, I just found this set lying in my parent's room and decided to do it for the Arts and Crafts project.

    Here is the next artwork, the recycled CDs. I made one for Day, Sunset, and Night. This concept is inspired by the kpop group, ENHYPEN, and their recent upcoming comeback, called Border: Carnival. The concept they used was Up, Hype, and Down, which I took the same concept and did it on my paintings.



The process of creating the CDs

    Unfortunately, I wasn't able to record or take a photo of the progress for doing the other artwork because it was the first thing I made and it slipped my mind. All in all, it was difficult because I had to do four different artworks, but I chose to do this so that my art skills stay polished. It was just difficult to do because I suddenly shifted from Digital Art to Traditional Art.

Here are the principles of Design or Composition I used and why .

    BALANCE 
For the balance of the first artwork, there is definitely space, the texture of the clay substance is evident because of the toothpicks, similar to pointilism. Also it is not overloaded. 
For the second batch of artworks, the CDs, they are basically nature inspired, which is naturally balanced. It is not overloaded, the texture is smooth yet also not, for a natural painted look. Both are well balanced when it comes to the colors as well.

    HARMONY 
Overall, both artworks are filled with harmony. This is because there is a sense of belongingness. Simpicity is the feel of the first, while the second one is more on nature or realistic vibes. The form is also evident from each artwork, but most especially in the CDs for they all represent and show off similar strokes, lines, and shapes.

    UNITY 
If you see each artwork, there is nothing that looks out of place. The first artwork is simple but neat, while the second is the clarity and the fitting together as a unit. Every art work feels different but somehow correlated to each other, in the first artwork, there are flowers and a quote that can also be found in nature. Unity is most seen in the Night CD, where in there is one family of colors that create an image.

    CONTRAST 
The main contrast is the theme for sure. Each has its own appeal and its own charm that attracts the attention of the audience. While all of it are all decoration based arts and crafts, they carry a nice ambiance that can catch someone's eye and also conveys a story.

    VARIETY 
Variety is mostly evident in the Sunset version of the CD. There, we can see blues, violets, reds, oranges, yellows, and more. There are plenty of colors, yet you can clearly see that it creates an image, which is a sunset. However, there is also variety in the first artwork, mostly in the colors and how it is portrayed. Overall, each piece has variety and not boring.

    PATTERN 
The patterns here in the first artwork, is the pointilism technique. Although, it is not by pen, Pointilism is still used for the dots that I pierced with the toothpicks to make the medium stick on the surface. In the second artwork, the pattern is each stroke, artwise. In the theme, the main pattern is the colors formed by nature's beauty such as the trees, clouds, and the waves. 

    RHYTHM 
For the rhythm, the structure is overall clear. One can distinguish what each piece is, what it's about, and can also form a story or an idea just by looking at it. There is a clear representation of each artwork and how it is made. All art works are clean, simple, but still, eye-catching and different.

    As usual, I applied all the principles possible and explained it to the best that I can. I did my best to do the paintings and the pointilisms artwork as fast as I can and also as best as I could. I even tried hard to find CDs and the materials I needed. I included all the things I have learned beforehand and also made sure to be responsible, finishing my tasks, including other projects, before the deadlines. I did two entries so that I can be more flexible and practice more art styles and techniques. 

    This time, I asked evaluation from my parents, my best friend, and my boyfriend, asking advice on what to do and to continue on. I believe I did my best to incorporate the arts and crafts activity.

    Thank you for viewing my blog and looking around! Let's all unite and fill the world with positivity and art! Also, if you want to see more of my works, I am part of a Facebook art page called Art Venue, where we are open for commissions! Should you need something drawn, whether it's Traditional or Digital medium, we can guarantee it to be done when you need it and done well!

Please visit our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ArtVenue-101021248736589/

For sticker shopping, please head to our shopee store: https://shopee.ph/justlabel?categoryId=13612&itemId=3684556662

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOURTH YEAR MIDTERMS - Portfolio and Exhibit

✿ History of Graphic Design: Activity 11 - Motion Picture ✿