✿ History of Graphic Design: Activity 6 - Art Nouveau Style Design ✿

 H E L L O!

    For the first week of midterms, we were assigned to do Nouveau arts. We could do jewelry, clothing, wallpaper, carpet and more. Here are my entries for this week. As usual, all I used is my computer, my VEIKK A50 graphics tablet and Paint Tool SAI version 2.

    I did two versions, one wallpaper and one clothing. Here is an Nouveau art that I created for wallpaper. It can also be a painting styled Nouveau art. I entitled this "Gemini".


    Here is the second one I made, which I entitled "Bloom". The main point is the clothing she wore, the pattern is inspired by the Nouveau designs I saw during the discussions. 


    As you can see, there is one common thing in these two drawings, which is the pattern I used on the background in Gemini and the pattern on the dress of the girl in Bloom. I looked for several inspirations online to take ideas from and then used them to form a medieval styled look to use. I really like the dress in Bloom since it is a cross between the medieval era and modern era. The pattern is medieval whereas the style of the clothes is modernized. The girl is the same in the first painting; Gemini, without her sister.

Here are the principles of Design or Composition I applied and why they are related.

    BALANCE 
In Balance, the colors are muted but I wanted the main piece, the girls and their dresses, to stand out, so using the family color of oranges and one periwinkle blue, I made the most vibrant color to be her hair as to have the sense of royalty and a celestial being. I made sure not to overload the two paintings and create good ambiance.

    HARMONY 
The style of the art works simple but also filled with impact. The entirety fits with the overall theme of the piece. The colors are the same throughout the two pieces of art work. The main patterns are distinguished and they all come in place together in balance.

    UNITY 
The unity shown is the way the piece fits and doesn't look out of place. It is mostly evident in Gemini, where there is clarity in showing the piece's overall look. The vibe is medieval, and the colors are well blended out together. It should also be noted that it is neat and clean, the line art helps determine its simplicity that is similar to Nouveau art usually found.

    CONTRAST 
The main contrast is definitely the hair. The bright orange hair attracts the attention of the viewer. I also made it seem like the people are extraterrestrial in the painting. I wanted it to seem like they were Gods since they were based off of Gemini in the Zodiac Signs. Therefore the closer the color is to the face, the brighter the hair seems to glow. Other than that, in the second painting, Bloom, the other contrast is the dress, which I wanted to be different but also convey royalty.

    VARIETY 
Ideas are well presented and the colors fit each other. The dominant color is the orange, that causes the main attention to be directed there due to the intensity. However, the dress and the background also draw attention due to the contrast of the colors of brown and light peach (see painting Gemini), and periwinkle blue and gold (see painting Bloom). Since I made two paintings, I also showed variety in the ways I used the main asset, which is the pattern.

    PATTERN 
For the Pattern, it's mainly in the design of the background and the dress. The pattern I used was inspired from the Nouveau art I saw online and in the discussion. The head dress is also a form of pattern since it is repeated in both the pieces. I originally wanted it to be flowers, but I believe it is quite overdone, so I wanted mine to be different. The head dress is made of cloth and then forms a pattern. Another pattern could be the hair since the colors and the strands are repeated though, without a structure.

    RHYTHM 
The structure of the pieces are well planned, the hair is the main attraction but then again that is also the pattern. The main rhythm is found within the dress and the background, which is the pattern used. These are all mainly easy to see and is neat, simple, and yet clean. The patterns are also clear and filled with simplicity, to the point that even though the pattern is unpredictable and random, it is still understandable.

INSPIRATION USED:


(all are taken from google images, NO COPYRIGHT INTENDED.)


    As usual, I applied all the principles possible. I did my best to do the painting as fast as I can and also as best as I could. I included all the things I have learned beforehand and also made sure to be responsible. I did two entries so that I can be more flexible and practice more Nouveau art styles. Not much Evaluation was given to me and again, I only relied on my gut. I believe I did my best to incorporate the art style discussed,

    Thank you for viewing my blog and looking around! Let's all unite and fill the world with positivity and art! Also, if you want to see more of my works, I am part of a Facebook art page called Art Venue, where we are open for commissions! Should you need something drawn, whether it's Traditional or Digital medium, we can guarantee it to be done when you need it and done well!

Please visit our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ArtVenue-101021248736589/

For sticker shopping, please head to our shopee store: https://shopee.ph/justlabel?categoryId=13612&itemId=3684556662

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOURTH YEAR MIDTERMS - Portfolio and Exhibit

✿ History of Graphic Design: Activity 11 - Motion Picture ✿