✿ History of Graphic Design: Activity 9 - Pictorial Modernism/Cubism Poster ✿

  H E L L O!

    For the last week of midterms for activities, we were assigned to do Modern Cubism. We could do a poster that shows off nationalism or anything that is related to being a proud Filipino. Here is my entry for this week. As usual, all I used is my computer, my VEIKK A50 graphics tablet and Paint Tool SAI version 2.



    Earlier, I got disconnected for a few minutes so I almost didn't get the topic. However, with enough knowledge, I have decided to apply all the knowledge I gained. I actually did two posters but the first one did not feel as if it was conveying nationalism so I scrapped it and redid the poster. Here is a modern Filipina in her modern Filipiñana that is associated with the Filipino flag. To show off uniqueness, I also made her makeup similar to the color of the flags. This symbolizes Filipinos shown through color. 

    Blue for peaceful, kind, clean, and calmness. Red is for bravery, fierceness, protection, and strength. Yellow for happiness, simplicity, attentive, and trust-worthy. She is wearing the national dress of the country to show off its beauty and the love for her country's goods. The accessories also symbolize the places which fought for the country, showing the Sun, but also placed on top to show appreciation and knowledge about history.

Here are the principles of Design or Composition I applied and why they are related.

    BALANCE 
In Balance, the colors are muted but I wanted the main piece, the girl and her makeup, to stand out, so much so that her eyes are plainly colored out to show that this could be anyone. Using the colors of the Philippine flag, I made it the main color palette in an attempt to capture the theme. I made sure not to overload the painting and create a meaningful artwork.

    HARMONY 
The style of the art works simple but also filled with impact. The entirety fits with the overall theme of the piece. The colors are the same throughout the piece. The main patterns is seen throughout which are angled shapes to show the method of cubism as an overlay. The main tool used here in the artwork was of similarity to chalk substance.

    UNITY 
The unity shown is the way the piece fits and doesn't look out of place. It is mostly evident in Gemini, where there is clarity in showing the piece's overall look. The vibe is medieval, and the colors are well blended out together. It should also be noted that it is neat and clean, the line art helps determine its simplicity that is similar to Nouveau art usually found.

    CONTRAST 
The main contrast is definitely the makeup. The colors attracts the attention of the viewer since it is similar to the color of the flag. I also made it seem like the person is blank in the painting, so that anyone could relate. Therefore the colors on the face are associated with their meaning of which can also be personalities of the Filipinos. 

    VARIETY 
Ideas are well presented and the colors fit each other, since I had a basis. There is no dominant color and that causes the main attention to be directed on the person and the message of the piece. There is variety present since the colors are of primary colors but there is still unity since the piece belongs together. There is a variety of strokes and shapes but still, the piece is in tact.

    PATTERN 
For the Pattern, it's mainly in the design of the strokes on how I colored everything. There is also a pattern in the shapes used to show off cubism. The head dress is also a form of pattern since it is repeated in to form a Sun. I originally wanted it to be flowers, but I wanted it to be associated to the Philippines. 

    RHYTHM 
The placements of the shapes and the over all piece are well planned, the makeup and the flag is the main attraction but then again that can also be a pattern. The main rhythm is found within the shapes used and the strokes of the coloring. These are all mainly easy to see and is simple, and clean. The patterns are also clear and filled with simplicity, to the point that even though the pattern is unpredictable and random, it is still understandably cubism.

As usual, I applied all the principles possible. I did my best to do the painting as fast as I can and also as best as I could. I included all the things I have learned beforehand and also made sure to be responsible. Again, I originally did two entries so that I can be more flexible and practice more but the first one was scrapped. I really really disliked the first one, which caused me to try again. Thankfully, this was a success. Not much Evaluation was given to me and again, I only relied on myself . I believe I did my best to incorporate cubism, using shapes to my advantage.

    Thank you for viewing my blog and looking around! Let's all unite and fill the world with positivity and art! Also, if you want to see more of my works, I am part of a Facebook art page called Art Venue, where we are open for commissions! Should you need something drawn, whether it's Traditional or Digital medium, we can guarantee it to be done when you need it and done well!

Please visit our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ArtVenue-101021248736589/

For sticker shopping, please head to our shopee store: https://shopee.ph/justlabel?categoryId=13612&itemId=3684556662


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOURTH YEAR MIDTERMS - Portfolio and Exhibit

✿ History of Graphic Design: Activity 11 - Motion Picture ✿